Note: Readings labeled (ER) are available at the course ella site.
PP Stands for Plato and a Platypus...
Big Ideas stands for Big Ideas for Little Kids
All readings are to be done for the date on which they are listed.
They will be discussed then.
6-Sep Introduction to the Course
- In Class: Screen "Teaching Children Philosophy" and "Picture Book Philosophy"
7-Sep Practice Discussion #1 and Video screening
- Assignment: Begin Journal NOTE: Please keep referring to the ella site for all assignments due
13-Sep Why Philosophy for Children?
- Read: Big Ideas for Little Kids, Preface and Chapters 1 and 2; Kennett and Smith (ER); Matthews (ER); Creswell (ER)
14-Sep Workshop with Gail Herman on reading aloud
- Read: The Read-Aloud Handbook (ER)
- Assignment: Practice reading a picture book of your choice
20-Sep The Community of Inquiry
- Read: Big Ideas, Ch. 3 and 4; Kennedy (ER); Gardener (ER)
21-Sep "Dragons and Giants" and look at the book module
- Read: Splitter and Sprod, "Places for Thinking" (ER); Big Ideas, Ch. 7; Golding (ER);
28-Sep More Demonstrations
4-Oct Planning a Philosophy Class
- Read: Big Ideas, Ch. 5 and 6; Wartenberg "Perspectives"(ER)
5-Oct Getting Ready for MLK
- Read: PP, Philogagging
- For the next eight weeks, every Thursday we will leave from campus to travel to MLKCSE.
- Our teaching sessions at the school will run from 2:00-2:45 p.m.
- NOTE: IF MOUNTAIN DAY FALLS ON A THURSDAY, WE WILL MEET. WE CAN NEGOTIATE AN ALTERNATIVE TREAT.
11-Oct Visit to MLK Charter School: Assemble in front of Skinner by 1:15. DO NOT BE LATE.
- Read: MLK Dress Code
- watch "Freedom Writers" (on ella under "Streaming Media Reserves")
12-Oct Planning for First Session at MLK! Remember that your Lesson Plan is due by noon. Come to class prepared with your questions about teaching "Dragons and Giants"
- Read: "Ethics" in PP; David Pears, "The Anatomy of Courage" (ER) NOTE: I realize that there may not be time for you to read the second reading each week by Friday. You need to have it read prior to developing your Lesson Plan to help you understand the philosophical area. I have also developed reading guides for most of the articles we will be reading.
18-Oct Teach "Dragons and Giants"
- Remember the schedule of assignments that will hold from now on:
- 1. Lesson Plan due on Tuesday by 5 p.m. (one per pair)
- 2. Journal entry due by Sunday at 10 p.m. (each person)
- 3. Transcript due by Sunday at 10 pm (one per pair)
19-Oct Planning Meeting for "Frederick" Social and Political Philosophy
- Read: "Social and Political Philosophy" in PP (*NB: There is a joke in this section about rape that is in incredibly poor taste.);"Guide for Levine" (ER)"Idleness" (ER); Big Ideas, chapter 9
25-Oct Teaching "Frederick"
26-Oct Planning Meeting for "Knuffle Bunny" Philosophy of Language
- Read "Philosophy of Language" in PP; Quine "Two Dogmas"(ER); Big Ideas, chapter 14;
1-Nov Teaching "Knuffle Bunny"
2-Nov Planning meeting for "The Important Book" Metaphysics
- Read "Metaphysics" in PP; "Guide for Copi" (ER): Copi, "Essence and Accident" (ER); Big Ideas, chapter 10
- Assignment: Find Book for Your Own Module and submit your choice
8-Nov Teach "The Important Book"
8-Nov, 4:30 p.m. Talk on Philosophy for Children in Australia, Sarah Davey Chesters
9-Nov Planning Meeting for "Morris the Moose" Informal Logic
- Read: Big Ideas, chapter 13; Wartenberg, "Morris" (ER); "Logic" in PP; "Informal Logic" from Stanford Encyclopedia
15-Nov Teach "Morris the Moose"
16-Nov Planning Meeting for "Emily's Art" Aesthetics
- Read: "Guide for Stephen Davies"(ER);Davies, "Evaluation of Art" (ER); Big Ideas, chapter 15;
29-Nov Teach "Emily's Art"
30-Nov Planning Meeting for "The Giving Tree" Environmental Ethics
- Read: "Guide for Taylor" (ER); Paul Taylor, "The Ethics of Respect for Nature" (ER); Big Ideas, chapter 12
6-Dec Teach "The Giving Tree"
- NO JOURNAL THIS WEEK
7-Dec Final Class
- Plan Children's Visit to Campus
- Read: Big Ideas, Chapter 17
12-Dec 9:30-11:50 a.m. MLKCSE Visit to MHC—Note Time and Date
- Visit to Bio Labs, Art Museum, and Organ in the Chapel
- Reception for students at 11 a.m. in Blanchard'